TMJ dysfunction can cause varying degrees of pain and sometimes complete malfunctioning of the jaw. People who suffer from TMJ Dysfunction experience tenderness, headaches and limited jaw movement. The condition frequently spreads to the ears, neck, and shoulders causing other health problems. Particularly women between the ages of 20-40 years are among the higher risk category of TMJ Dysfunction.
Massage Therapy can help reduce pain, tension, spasms, inflamation and increase range of motion for TMJ disorders.
Signs & Symptoms:
- Clicking, popping or misalignment of joint
- Spontaneous dislocation
- Tender jaw muscles
- Limited range of motion
- Dull, aching pain in front of the ear
- Hyper-mobility of the jaw
- Lower jaw shifts when chewing
- Increased pain in the morning Causes:
- Weak neck extensor muscles in back of neck
- Misalignment of joints due to bite or denture problems
- Misalignment of the upper neck vertebrae or bones of the skull
- Injury (e.g. whiplash)
- Nerve or circulatory problems
- Improper tracking (movement) of TMJ disc within the joint
- Tension, clenching and grinding
Book Online with Core Therapy today! Our remedial massage therapist will provide you with a thorough case history, assessment and focused treatment to help you address your symptoms.
Welcome & Book Now!